Farming in Vietnam

Farming in Vietnam

Friday, March 13, 2015

How has this even happened?

Post by: Marie

Back in 1991, I went on my first overseas trip without my parents.  I went with Chris (who will be present on this adventure) and our gorgeous friend Andrea, and yes of course we went to Bali.   Back then I took every type of imaginable over the counter medicine/toiletry product to combat Bali belly and any thing else that may have reared it's ugly head, I copped a bit of flack from the girls about my mobile pharmacy.  So the signs were well and truly visible back in 1991 that this would grow over the decades into a full blown problem.

So here we are 24 years on and I fear that my need for toiletries and medicines that I am used to and/or are familiar with has manifested into a tragic obsession when I travel.  I'm not sure how this has even happened over the years, but clearly it has.  Let me tell you, by God I am prepared for nearly every scenario (except for being bitten by a rabid dog - but should this happen: I do have some Dettol to douse the wound in before I take myself off to the SOS Hospital.  So I am kind of prepared for that scenario too!!)

Tragic thing is, my toiletries alone (medications excluded) weigh over 4.5kg, that is encroaching on valuable shopping weight for my suitcase.  I may need to re-assess en-route and dump some toiletries weight to allow for more shopping weight.  Bloody airlines and their weight restrictions, they take all the fun out of girly trip away!

We have had a discussion and joked at the fact that once upon a time as we were getting ready for an international flight it was all about what duty free alcohol we were to purchase.  Now it's all about what medications we need to take with us to aid the stomach / bowel region.  My how times have changed....


1 comment:

  1. This is priceless MLD - How's about we chat and see what we can cut back on so we are not doubling up - i have sunscreen? x

    ReplyDelete